Tuesday, February 15, 2005

This is what I love about the internet. In a recent post I remarked on a spam email I received hailing a character called Gouranga. So I decided to do some research. And of course within minutes I discovered the inevitable: somebody else had already done the research for me.

Now being a thorough sort I would never trust the research of someone else and present it as fact until I have properly verified all the necessary. However I am also extremely lazy and need only to achieve standards that I set for myself.

The marvelous Urban Dictionary's results can be witnessed thusly. The most popular being Rob's explanation:

A word that appears on motorway bridges in north west UK. It's only purpose to annoy drivers who are left with a nagging curiosity for the rest of their day until the next day when it ceases to become important ever again.

The word, it is revealed, perhaps originated from Hare Krishna and instructs one to be happy and travel in peace. It can be now seen somewhere within the marvelously enjoyable Grand Theft Auto games (where in its most recent incarnation you may decide to gamble some of your money on a horse called Gentleman's Relish).

However forget all this. Let Joe from Germany sort it out once and for all. Good man that.

Screenshot from the first GTA game (which was a bit shit).

No comments: